Sunday, September 25, 2011

First weekend

My first weekend of bird watching was, for lack of a better word, boring. For some odd reason, it seems that my area is experiencing a great absence of birds. Anyhow, I did take note on a few unmistakable birds, which no matter what the condition, seem to take refuge around my house. The first of which, a set of around three eagles, I see almost every day. They have white bellies so they are rather difficult to spot when just scouting the sky, but their sound is unmistakable… it strikes fear into the hearts of my bantams hens. The second bird I noticed rummaging through a pile of leaves in a windbreak I identified as a robin (red/orange breasts, yellow beak, dark grey back and wings). Sunday afternoon our riding ring was ‘mobbed’ by a set of 5 sparrows who, I suppose, were feasting on any possible seeds or bugs that we being churned up with the soil. They were small and dusty tan coloured, with lighter coloured under bellies and only about 3-4 inches long. The last bird I took note on was a male cardinal. Just perched on our fence, minding its own business like birds usually do. I can’t wait our feathered friends of the sky migrate so I can see something different ☺

No comments: