Tuesday, November 1, 2011

November 1st Bird Watching

Today My birdwatching adventure started at Quail Hill where I did not see much. There was a large bird flying further down the path that I was not able to identify. There was not much action so I decided to move on. I walked further down the path through the tree farm on the south side of town lane and noticed a Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) flying by. I was able to find it in my binoculars with ease and took note of the Diamond shaped tail with white tips and black subterminal bands. I continued walking and went up onto the train tracks. Even though the scattered piles of deer bones fascinated me, I was able to spot some birds. Three or Four Blue Jays (Cyanocitta cristata) which were easily spotted even without my binoculars due to their bright plumage. I also spotted a Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)and Carolina Chickadees (Poecile carolinenis) which I was able to identify by its black and white head, short conical beak, and grey edged feathers. I continued walking off of the train tracks and through the potato fields where I saw a Belted Kingfisher (Ceryle alcyon) sitting on an electrical Pylon. The shaggy crest, long bill, and dark breastband were the main factors in its identification. I pressed onward to Amagansett school where I sat in the frigid winter evening. Although I was not able to feel my feet, I was able to catch sight of a House Sparrow (Passer domesticus), which was somewhat hard to find among the bushes due to its striped multiple shades of brown plumage. The grey and brown underbelly was more noticeable when it finally turned around. I was panning across the field through my binoculars and spotted an American Robin (pale)(Turdus migratorious). The orange breast was easily spotted amongst the green grass. I think I might have seen an American Goldfinch fly overhead, but I am not sure. The field marks that I was able to see seemed extremely similar, but I was not able to get a great look at it.

No comments: