Sunday, October 23, 2011

Birdwatching - October 23rd 2011

Today I was not able to go on the birding trip, but I was still able to fit birding into my schedule none the less. I started off the day (literally) when I heard an odd noise in my backyard. I went to look outside and I saw a large group of Common Grackles (Quiscalus Quiscula). After that, I went up the street and sat for about an hour looking around in the sky. I must have looked like a lunatic because several people were staring at me. Whilst sitting on a bench I spotted a massive formation of Canada Geese (Branta Canadensis) flying overhead. The extremely recognizable honking like call is what alerted me. A little while after the Geese flew by, I saw two Blue Jays (Cyanocitta Cristata) in a tree on the oposite side of Amagansett Square. The bright blue plumage was easily spotted even when jumping behind branches. After that there were only a few more fly-bys that I was not able to identify, so I decided to head back to my house. On my way back, there was a group of Wild Turkey (Meleagris Galloparo) lounging in the road on Hedges Lane. Around the corner from them, I saw two beautiful Cardinals (Cardinalis Cardinalis) perched in a large tree on the side of the road. The bright colors were amazing among the dull monotonous colors of the fall trees. I got home and saw Tufted Tit Mouse (Baeolophus Bicolor) on my bird-feeder. Not long after, a Black-Capped Chikadee (Poecile Atricapilla) landed on the bird-feeder. The rusty color under the wing was what gave it away. Although I was not able to go on the birding trip, I had a successful birding day non the less.

No comments: