Monday, October 10, 2011

Due to over sleeping and not waking up in time, I was sad to miss the amazing trip to the station. Having been birding in Montauk last weekend, I sort of knew what birds I would be likely to see as I went out to bird watch. Besides the usual array of American Robins and Black- Capped Chickadees I was finally able to recognize a group of Common Grackle with their amazing iridescent coloring as they meandered around and finally flew in the direction of Montauk town. From the porch of my house you can see Fort Pond, the bay and then the ocean all in sequence. Using my binoculars I believe I saw a Great Egret which is identifiable by it's long yellow bill and black legs. I'm not sure how usual it is to see them near Fort Pond. There were two blue jays squawking at each other from either side of my yard, I could only see one of them but could clearly hear the other one. I may be crazy but I'm positive I saw a lark sparrow! I didn't believe it at first but then I checked it in the book and my birding notes from last weekend when we saw the other one and the field marks matched up perfectly; Cheek patch and dark spot in the middle of the breast, also with the Malar stripe. I saw some type of falcon as well but I didn't have time to identify it.

No comments: